Tuesday 15 May 2012

Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel (Review)

MY RATING: 3/5

BLURB: 
After two years on the run, best friends Rose and Lissa are caught and returned to St. Vladimir's Academy, a private high school for vampires and half-bloods. It's filled with intrigue, danger - and even romance. 

Enter their dark, fascinating world through a new series of 144-page-full-colour graphic novels. The entire first Vampire Academy novel has been adapted for book one by Leigh Dragoon and overseen by Richelle Mead, while the beautiful art of acclaimed British illustrator Emma Vieceli brings the story to life. 

REVIEW: 
First off I just want to state that my rating of his is based largely on how it came across to me in comparison with the book. It would probably be different for people who haven't read the book. Graphic novels translate very different to an actual book, in the same way that movies compared to books do. Also this was my first graphic novel (I have read manga before, but it's a little different), so this is from someone who is not at all familiar with these kinds of books. 

I actually really enjoyed this, I think the artwork was fantastic, and most of the characters were just like I would imagine them to be. So while I really enjoyed this book (would you call it that?) I am curious as to how it would come across to someone who hasn't read the book. At times I felt it was a little jumpy, like they would be doing one thing and all of a sudden they would be somewhere else. Graphic novels may just be like this, I wouldn't know. I also realise that it is impossible to include every little detail when it comes to transferring a story in such a way, so it may also have been that. I also didn't feel as though the chemistry between Rose and Dimitri communicated very well, (from what I remember, and correct me if I am wrong and I will change it) they had a lot more chemistry in the first book. They had a sort of instant attraction to each other that they were constantly battling. And I don't feel as though you really got that from this. 

The artworks were all really amazing. I loved how the moroi magic looked. I also how the frames were fogged around the edges when Rose was in Lissa's head, I think that was a really interesting touch. I think sometimes the characters eyes were a little on the small side, but other than that, I think the artist did a fantastic job with this. Christian was hot! And while I never imagined Mason to be very attractive, I know he was descrived to be good looking in the book but i am just not a fan of red hair, I think the artists really made his looks work for him. He was really good looking! The only character that really surprised me with how she looked was Natalie. I know she probably looked as she was desciribed in the book, but for some reason I pictured her with brown hair. Not sure why. 

Anyway, all in all, I think this will be great for a quick Vampire Acamdey fix when you don't have time to read the book, as I read it in under an hour while I was on my way home this afternoon. And I really cannot wait to get my hands on Frostbite so I can stare at Adrian :P I love Adrian <3 I also think he looks amazing in Frostbite! I would definitely recommend this if you have read the books and are interested. Great, quick and fun read. 

Jammie the Book Nerd 
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment