Sunday 22 April 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

MY RATING: 2/5

BLURB: 
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. 

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. 

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers. 

REVIEW: 
I just want to clarify that I didn't give this book two stars because it was a bad book, it just wasn't for me. Suicide doesn't sit well with me. 

I should have thought about the fact that this book is about suicide more before I bought it. I was really intrigued at the beginning of this book, wanting to learn Hannah's story, it definitely hooks you in from the very first page. I only realized about half way through why I wasn't getting into the book as much as I thought I should be I personally believe that suicide is the most selfish thing that any one person can do, I'm not saying that it isn't a serious matter and that we shouldn't try and stop it, it's just to me when someone does something like this, they are thinking only of themselves. Of taking away their own pain because they don't want to fight anymore, not caring enough about how what they do will affect the ones that love them. 

Hannah's character annoyed me quite a bit throughout the book, I wasn't really getting why she wanted to commit suicide other than just because she couldn't be bothered to put up with any of it anymore and to kind of get revenge on the people that had hurt her. I couldn't really see what Clay liked about her either, but I guess he didn't know her that well. Other than that, this was a great awareness sort of book and I would highly recommend it, you may like it more than me. It is a very education story about ehat effects our actions can have on others, especially when we don't realize it. In the case of this story, it is both the effects that Hannah's "friend's" had on her life, but also what effect her actions had on the people who cared about her like Clay. I really liked that about this book. 

If you have read this book, you should check out this song by Alice Invictus here.
All of her other songs are really good too :D

Jammie the Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment