Thursday 1 September 2011

Devilish by Maureen Johnson

MY RATING: 3/5

BLURB: 
Jane Jarvis and Allison Concord, seniors at Saint Teresa's Preparatory School for Girls, have always been too quirky to be popular, but at least they'll always have each other, right? Not so much. After a hideously embarrassing disaster, Allison comes to school transformed. Suddenly she has cute hair and clothes, speaks fluent Latin, and won't even look at Jane. With the help of a strangely wise freshman boy, Jane discovers the incredible truth: Allison has sold her soul to the devil. Now Jane will have to save Allison before the bizarrely exclusive Poodle Prom, a party of biblical proportions that just might blow apart the world as Jane knows it. 

REVIEW: 
This was the first book that I have ever read by Maureen Johnson. I have been wanting to get my hands on one for quite a while. I am really glad that I liked it. I have been following Maureen Johnson on Twitter for quite a while, and the kind of fun and quirky person that she is really shows through in her writing. I really enjoyed this book, and I definitely want to read more by her. 

Jane Jarvis and Allison Concord are just two normal girls at high school.They've never really been the popular type, but they have always had each other. Until one day when Allison comes to school a completely different person; suddenly she has new hair, new clothes and a new phone that she can't work. Jane soon learns that Allison has made a deal with the devil, like any good best friend would, Jane tries to help Allison get out of the deal in anyway  that she can. 

Johnson has developed a set of extremely interesting characters. Jane is very intelligent and a wonderful friend. Even after Allison practically ditches her and turns on her she still tries to do everything she can to get her out of the deal that she's made. I didn't like Allison very much at the beginning of the book, but by the end I did. She's an interesting character. Just as good a friend to Jane as she is to her. 

I really enjoyed this book. I was a little worried at first, because I didn't know what to expect. But it was a pleasant surprise and I really enjoyed it. I will definitely be on the prowl for more Maureen Johnson books to try :) 

Jammie the Book Nerd 
xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment