Tuesday 16 August 2011

Matched by Ally Condie


MY RATING: 3/5


BLURB: 
On her seventeenth birthday Cassie meet her match. Society dictates he is her perfect partner for life. 
Except he's not. 

In Cassia's society, Officials decide who people love. How many children they have. Where they work. When they Die. 

But Cassie finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices of her own. 

And that's when her whole world begins to unravel . . .

REVIEW: 
This is only the third ever dystopian series that I have read. So it kinda had a lot to live up to with me; I have only read The Hunger Games series and Divergent. Both of which I absolutely loved. I wasn't expecting a lot, so it mostly lived up to my expectations. I did enjoy this book though, it's a very interesting idea. 

The story takes place in a world where everything is controlled by the government. The people are told what they eat, who they will marry and have children with, where they will work, even when they will die. Everyone believes that the system is for the best, everyone lives healthy and happy lives, no ever gets hurt and everyone is content. Cassia, like everyone else, believes in the society, that what they do is for the better. She believes that she will be happy with Xander, her best friend and match. But as  Cassia begins to fall in love with Ky, she begins to question her government. Is what they do really better for everyone, never getting to make any decisions of their own? 

I couldn't really get into the relationships in the book. I liked all of the characters, but I couldn't feel the relationship between Cassia and Ky or Cassia and Xander. There were some really sweet moment between Cassia and Ky that had me going aww, but it still felt weird, like it wasn't real enough. I really liked Cassia's family, Bram and her mother and father and Grandfather. 

Some parts of the book felt a little boring, like they were dragging on a bit. The story wasn't fast enough for me. Personally I like a book that gets straight into the action and has lots of it. I am not a big love story person. But I did like this book, it is always a very interesting to experience the worlds that people live in in stories like this one. I am eager to see where the author takes the story in the next book. 

I also really liked the cover. Mostly only after I had seen the second one. I like the idea that she is trapped in her world in the first book. But in the next one it is like she is trying to break free of the grasp that society has on her. I am looking forward to reading it. 

Jammie the Book Nerd 
xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment